You Are Welcome to Have Your Wedding at Newport UMC!
Attending worship at Newport United Methodist Church is not a requirement for having your wedding here.
This setting in the woods on top of a hill is blessed by natural beauty. The sanctuary is bright and modern. The view of trees and the sky through windows and doors near the front of the sanctuary brings the wonders of Creation into the sanctuary. Gardens and trees and a deck outdoors provide a lovely background for your wedding photos. This is an awesome setting for your wedding!
Fees here are well below those of comparable settings. Parking and building access are easy and the facilities are handicapped accessible.
Call the church at (651) 459-2747 to explore the possibility of having your wedding at Newport UMC
The Church is NOT available for Saturday weddings due to the weekly use of the building by another congregation.
1. General: The sanctuary seats approximately 250 with additional space that can be opened to accomodate more guests. A recent major building renovation makes this facility modern and clean for your big day. There is plenty of ventilation with fans and open doors for a comfortable setting on summer days. We expect that you will treat the church facility with respect and consideration. There will be no smoking in the building and no use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs in the building or on the church grounds.
2. Wedding Coordinator: When a wedding date and time have been established, the couple needs to contact the wedding coordinator who will assist in dealing with the details of the wedding. Contact the church to arrange for a wedding coordinator to assist with your wedding. This is not an optional service. It is necessary for both the wedding party and the church. The Wedding Coordinator opens the doors for you for the rehearsal and wedding, shows you where everything is, helps you at any time you need anything, helps with the rehearsal details and the lining up and getting ready for the service, makes sure the church space is respected by all using it, makes sure that you do not leave anything at the church, assists in the cleanup process, and coordinates any details that may have been overlooked - among other things.
3. Fees for Non-Members: The following fees have been set by Newport United Methodist Church for non-members having weddings here:
A $100 Deposit secures the date. Then the balance - due two weeks in advance of the wedding - would be $250 (add any optional fees from below).
Organist*...................$100 (payable to the organist or no fee if you bring your own music)
Soloists*..................$100 (payable to the soloist/s or no fee if you bring your own music)
Fellowship Hall*........$150 (payable to Newport UMC - if reception is here)
Your check for the balance of fees (after the deposit), should be in the hands of the Church Secretary TWO WEEKS (14 days) before your wedding. You can make out one check to "Newport UMC" and the church will distribute the fees to each person involved. You can deduct the $100 deposit from the fees listed above. Do NOT include the fee for the wedding officiant in this check. Please pay the officiant directly.|
If you want the pastor of Newport UMC to perform the service, he is available for you - schedule permitting.
If you want another person of your own choosing to officiate at the service, that is fine too. Bring your own pastor and have the service at Newport UMC.
You are invited to use the beautiful Fellowship Hall for a reception after your wedding. This is a great place to have an alcohol-free reception. You can bring in a caterer. The kitchen is new!
*Optional - to be paid if used.
4. Fees for Members: The following fees have been set by Newport United Methodist Church for members** having weddings here:
Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall .... (a donation at your discretion rather than a set fee)
*Optional - to be paid if used.
5. Recording: Audio, video, or photographic recording is permitted. The couple should direct these services and set any limits desired. If you plan to use the sound system at Newport UMC to play CD's for your service, be sure to have the CD's and the person who will play them at the rehearsal. This is so important for your wedding. The system is complex and it requires training and practice to make sure it is operated properly. You will be glad that you did this and you may regret it if you do not. The beauty of your service depends upon the music that you have chosen and the proper timing and execution.
6. Marriage License: The marriage license should be brought to the church and given to the pastor AT THE REHEARSAL.
7. NO rice, bird seed, flower petals or confetti may be thrown in or outside the building. You may use artificial petals to be thrown by the flower girl in the sanctuary, but they should be cleaned up before leaving the church. Real flowers will probably stain the carpet and that is why they cannot be used. Bubbles used outside is an alternative that you might like to consider. Doves have been released as well.
8. Wedding bulletins: Bulletins are usually done by a printer other than the church. If you want the church Secretary to do them for you, there is an additional cost of $25 per 100 (payable to Newport UMC). The bride and groom are expected to furnish the bulletin covers. They can be purchased at local religious book stores. The secretary must have all information at least ten days prior to the date of the wedding, and the bride and groom must proof the copy at least three days before the wedding.
9. Wedding Date: Please contact the church Secretary to apply for a wedding date. Please be prepared to indicate the time of the wedding, the time needed for preparation in the building before the wedding (dressing, pictures, decorating, etc.) and the time in the building needed after the wedding, and the date and time of the rehearsal. The Church secretary has the schedule of availability for use of the facilities for a wedding. Your date is not set until you have received written confirmation from the Church Secretary. Your application is not complete until the application and deposit are in the hands of the church secretary. While you may have been told that the date is available, someone else may have secured the date with an application and deposit in the meantime. Therefore, it is important that you submit your application and deposit to be sure that the date is yours. Click here to use the Online Reservation Form for the Space Rental. This form can be filled out online. The deposit of $100 should be sent to Newport UMC, 1596 Eleventh Ave., Newport, MN 55055. There is another form to fill out for the wedding coordinator and the Pastor so that they have contact and background information. Click here to use the Online Wedding Background Information Form
10. Questions: If you have questions about the service, please contact the church at 651 459-2747. If you have questions about building use or the bulletin, please contact the Newport UMC Church Secretary (Sue) at (651) 459-2747.
11. Counseling: If you would like to participate in pre-marital counseling, please contact the church at (651) 459-2747 to set up a time for a session. Pre-marital counseling is not required for the conducting of a wedding at Newport UMC. It is available at your request for a $50 an hour fee.
12. Suggestions for the Content of the Service: You have flexibility in the planning of your service. Arrange to meet with the Pastor to plan your service.
13. Perhaps you would like a small wedding at the historic Red Rock in front of the Newport UM Church (see picture to the right above) or in the historic cabin (pictured at left). - CLICK HERE for the history page to see the significance of these locations near the front of the church.
Click here to see the Church Photo Album.
Newport United Methodist Church
1596 11th Ave. (at Glen Road)
Newport, MN 55055-1649
Back to the Newport UMC Main Page